Excel to Text Field

Questions and answers about anything related to Helium Scraper
Teedium

Excel to Text Field

Post by Teedium » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Hello,

I'm not very versed in Databases, but when I saw the Database to Text Field premade I was excited. My source, however, is a column of web addresses (about 500) in Excel.

Basically, I have a list of web domains (that we own) and I need to get the Host Records off of Bulkregister.com. After logging into my BR account I want the scraper to paste one address at a time into the search, scrape the host records, DNS settings and Email settings into another excel.

I'd appreciate any help, mostly I'm stuck at the database import side.

Thanks!

webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Excel to Text Field

Post by webmaster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi,

Just create a table and copy/paste your URLs into the table. Don't forget to save the table after. I'm attaching a small sample of how you would use the Write from database to text boxes premade. In this project, you would place your extract actions between the Navigate: button and the Go To: http://www.bulkregister.com/Default.aspx? (the one at the bottom) actions in the Actions tree 1.
Attachments
Write from database sample.hsp
(527.08 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team

Teedium

Post by Teedium » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Thank you so much, I'm giving it a try now.

Can you tell me more about the "Parameters must be set" message and what I'll need to do?

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi,

This message shows when you attempt to run an actions tree that must be executed from an Execute Actions Tree action. In the sample project, you would run the Actions Tree 1 and not the Write From Database tree. There are more details in the premade's description at File -> Online Premades -> Write from database to text boxes.
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team

Teedium

Post by Teedium » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm having lots of fun with this program! I got the navigating and selecting down, and the sample you provided really helped explain things. Now I need to actually get the information out in a useful format... I need 4 separate extractions, with varying lengths, to all come together into one table.

Site layout:
There is the domain overview page, from here I extract the Current Site information (URL), then it needs to navigate into 3 pages to extract the tables from each. Ideally these 4 extractions would all go into one table.

My question being, is this easy to do? If so, please help.

Teedium

Post by Teedium » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 am

I found that by doing the following, multiple extractions will go into the same table. For every extract, I specified the same table name with exactly the same columns. I'm sure there's a less crude way but for now it works LoL

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:44 am

Note that you can also duplicate the Extract action by right clicking and selecting Duplicate Node. Then you can change the kinds and/or properties if necessary.

Other than this, you could extract to different tables having one table as a main table, and extracting to all the rest the ID of the main table (you extract the ID by extracting the ID_{TABLE_NAME} property of the BODY (normally) kind, where {TABLE_NAME} is your main table's name). If you do this, make sure to extract to your main table before extracting to any other table. Then you could join them by using the Quick Data View feature in the actions panel.
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team