Data not extracted on first pass first time.

Let us know if anything goes wrong with our baby :)
doug

Data not extracted on first pass first time.

Post by doug » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Minor oddity.
My scraping worked with one exception. I noticed that some data from the first page was not extracted. It turned out to be all the Kinds that were defined after the Next Kind (I had created them in that order). I asked HS to show me the (missing data) Kind in the first page. The data is properly highlighted. The run was a fresh restart of a previous run, no trial browsing or such.

So I reload HS and login to the site again.
If I run the query 1 time on the first page the data is missing. If I continue to the next page all of the next page data is extracted. If I manually browse back to the first page and run again all of the data is extracted. Must be an internal fresh state I don't control.

Win 32 IE 9

webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Data not extracted on first pass first time.

Post by webmaster » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Is that first page already loaded when you start the extraction or does Helium Scraper load it with an action such as Go To URL or Navigate?

Is possible that this data loads dynamically, so is not fully loaded when you start the extraction. In this case, a Wait action, or even better a Force Select premade action should fix it.
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team

doug

Post by doug » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 pm

The first page is already loaded. I made sure I could see all the data.

From a fresh start doing nothing but "Select kind in browser" has the same mystery first-time behavior. All kinds after the Next kind do not highlight until I browse to a new page. After that all the kind's on the first page will highlight appropriately.

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:44 am

Hi Doug,

Now I see what you are saying. I first thought your kind was being properly selected on the first page when you used the Select kind in browser button, but not extracted to the database. If it's not being highlighted is because some of these element's properties, for whatever reason, are different on the first page when you first load it than when you created the kinds.

To fix it, just load the first page for the first time, select one of the missing elements and click on the Add selection to this kind button.
Juan Soldi
The Helium Scraper Team